Saturday, October 18, 2008

Is It Where You Are Or Who You're With That Matters?

This has been the tough question for me this week. The first two weeks of my trip in Ecuador were all so brand new and smooth, that I didn't have time to miss anything or anyone...deeply. But this first week in Peru has been more challenging for several reasons, which has me longing for that feeling of security and comfort that comes with "home".

Comfort...this has been lacking for the most part. When I signed up for this trip, I knew it was going to be more like "camping" then "vacation", but it's proven to be a real challenge. Our bus trips have been long and arduous...and the last couple...music-less :). I didn't even get to update you on our bus ride from Mancora to Trujillo. We left at 2:45pm and were supposed to arrive in Trujillo at around 11pm. Ummmm, not when the Panamerican Highway is flooded and thousands of buses, cars, and trucks are trying to make up alternative routes in the middle of the desert, in the middle of the night! I'd describe the scene, but I only heard about it because my contacts became so dry after several hours that I to take them off and go blind until we finally arrived at the terminal at 4:30am only to jump in taxis and get lost in a strange city because the drivers were following a taxi that wasn't with our group! Oh, and then the hostel we were staying at was different than the one listed on our itinerary...so we were just sitting in the middle of the road at 5am with no idea where we were or where we were supposed to be. That touches on "security", which I'll elaborate on shortly.

It also doesn't help that our new Peruvian tour leader is not as helpful as the last. He has good intentions, but it's a big group, and I find that sometimes he only makes things more confusing...not good, especially since we are under his "care" for more days than any other leader. An example of the frustration would be when a guy in our group had $500 stolen from his room at the hostel (a repairman fixed his toilet and stole his money while he was sitting right outside the room!) and our guide comforts him by saying, "You have insurance right? Yes, these things happen in Peru."

And all these hardships are to be expected...It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not (well, a little :)). I think what tops it all off is that when we finally get to our destination, it's not like I go to my room and have peace and privacy, and a hot shower (yeah, hot water is a real treat and scarcity). No, I'm a single (thanks for reminding me :)) and share a room with two other people in hostels where you can't fart without the front desk knowing about it. So I'm never alone, and when I am, now I have to wonder if it's safe (see "A Lesson I Wish I Hadn't Learned"). Ok, now I'm complaining. haha. Let's move on, shall we?

I was going to go into security, but let's get to some good stuff before you all lose interest, write me off as a whiner, and start watching that uTube link that your co-worker just sent you with some line about how it sucks that it's Monday. I'll just say that when I get home I'll really appreciate the feeling of security that I'm not sure I was even aware of before...

But it's not all bad. No, there are diamonds in the rough! Once in Trujillo, we had the opportunity to visit the cities of two pre-Incan cultures. First, we walked around Chan Chan, the largest mud city in the world built by the Chimu people (850 - 1470 AD). We then took a short ride to La Huaca de la Luna (The Moon Temple), which was a religious center for the Moche people (100 - 800 AD). Chan Chan was interesting, but it was in the Moon Temple that I could feel the people that lived there. It was amazing that we could see the original walls, with their decorations...even the pigmentation that they used was still intact. Very cool! The walls were all covered with depictions of their God (The Decapitator). The site we visited is where they sacraficed warriors (by cutting off their heads) in anticipation of El Nino, a phenomenon that they were aware of even then. Very interesting...and to think, all we have to do is go to church on Christmas to stay in good graces! Just kidding...

And the last two days have been wonderful in Lima. The comforts of home that I so missed, I've found at La Casa de Hoshi! Last night I had a wonderful Pisco Sour and chinese meal (Chifa), and today I visited La Plaza Mayor with Mrs. Hoshi, where there was a huge celebration of "SeƱor de los Milagros". There were people, wearing purple habits, and following a shrine throughout the city. Then we went to the San Francisco Convent and Catacombs. We saw where the monks lived, and then the bones of 25,000 people underneath. At that time, they thought that it was best to bury the dead under the church, so that they would be near the house of God forever. And to top it off, we had more good food - Ceviche de Lenguados y Lomo Saldato.

Now, I'm going to go out with the Hoshi's for a nice dinner. I did bring one black dress that I bought at Old Navy for $20 before my trip. And Mrs. Hoshi found me a sweater and high heals to spruce me up. I'll take a picture, because I might not look this nice for the rest of the trip! haha. Ok, I'm off!...Oh, and I'm still not sure about the original question I posed, but I'm thinking it's more about who you're with then where you are. But maybe you have to leave to figure that out...Unterkofler's: I'm with you in spirit at Ellie's right now! Love to all! xoxo

4 comments:

Joel said...

I'm glad we don't have "One nation under The Decapitator" on all our money. My answer: Who you are with. That's the way to go, and if that isn't enough it's who you are and how the place changes ya for the better. Keep rockin', iPod or no iPod.

Mama Unt said...

The bad news is that road travel can be a little extreme, unpredictable and tiring over there. The good news is that once you return, you'll think that Northern VA traffic is a piece of cake! Remember to do a write up on the various guides for your travel agency so they know who's good and who isn't (take notes). And by the way, we missed you at Ellie's too:).

ktblash said...

Mike, Theo, and I vote.....Who you are with. I mean even little old Freddy-B can seem cool when Aunt C-ra comes to town.

I wanted to ask you about your Spanish. Have you been working hard to improve it. I know that was one of your goals.

Cara said...

My spanish is improving, but not as rapidly as I had hoped. I figured that out after spending the day with Mrs. Hoshi. Bless her heart...she must think I´m ¨special¨ because I said ¨yes¨ ¨i like it¨ and ¨very pretty¨ to almost every question or statement. haha!